An Open Letter to the Class of 2012 (and Seniors Every Year)

Your senior pranks gall me.

I have spent my entire year, for some, several years working with you, helping you, caring for you and agonizing over you. As a teacher, I love you.

And then you turn around and treat me like this?!?

What if I trashed your room, or filled your car with junk so that it wasn't drivable? What did I do when you left your phones in my room, or your books and jackets? I took care of them, because I cared about you. That's what RESPECT looks like.

Today, you disrespected me. And not just me, but the entire school - the underclassmen, the staff, the teachers, the building.

And it hurts.

Right now I can't even be in the same room with you. I am disappointed in your choices.

Some of you are probably saying, "but it wasn't me, I wasn't involved!" But that's not how everyone else took it. Today, you are a class. As a class, the seniors, did it. The actions of a few CAN damage the testimony of the whole. Yes, sometimes in life you get the brunt of another person's dumb actions.

It's time to grow up.

You can start with an apology.

UPDATE: Thanks Lukas for stepping up and apologizing for your classmates. I know you didn't participate, so it means even more that you took the initiative to set it right. That was courageous.

Comments

Popular Posts