Sunday, September 10, 2017

60 Degree Designs with SketchUp

This weekend I used SketchUp to design plans for a three sided, rotating stage scene device called a periaktos. The picture does not include the foam board panels that would be painted and cover the framing.

SketchUp is a great tool for detailed design work. It takes a little practice and non-linear thinking to piece it together. In fact, I prefer to draw the pieces as they would be cut, then convert them to components so they are less likely to become distorted.

This particular design required several "cuts" at 60 degrees so the protractor tool got quite the workout. I also imported two warehouse components, the 5 gal bucket, and the castors - no need to literally reinvent the wheel.

If anyone has experience building a periaktos, please let me know what challenges you faced. I believe this design meets all the requirements but I sometimes wonder what problems I have yet to discover. I have separate designs for lumber cuts and construction of each flat frame.