60 Degree Designs with SketchUp

This weekend I used SketchUp to design plans for a three sided, rotating stage scene device called a periaktos. The picture does not include the foam board panels that would be painted and cover the framing.

SketchUp is a great tool for detailed design work. It takes a little practice and non-linear thinking to piece it together. In fact, I prefer to draw the pieces as they would be cut, then convert them to components so they are less likely to become distorted.
Finished Perioktoi interior view
This particular design required several "cuts" at 60 degrees so the protractor tool got quite the workout. I also imported two warehouse components, the 5 gal bucket, and the castors - no need to literally reinvent the wheel.

If anyone has experience building a periaktos, please let me know what challenges you faced. I believe this design meets all the requirements but I sometimes wonder what problems I have yet to discover. I have separate designs for lumber cuts and construction of each flat frame.

UPDATED: Here is my SketchUp file, you can also download the model from 3D Warehouse.

Comments

  1. I am about to build some of these. Thank you for posting.
    Evansville, IN

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ben,
    I'm an elementary music teacher who is also the musical director for my campus. I was wondering if you would be willing to share your sketch-up plans? I'd rather not have top reinvent the wheel if I didn't need to.
    Thanks,
    Nancy Garza

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. Are you willing to share your designs? I am looking to build these and stumbled across your blog but don't see where to find the actual design/blueprints.
    Thanks in advance!
    Glenda C. Lanier
    Theatre Director
    Garrison School for the Arts
    Savannah, GA
    Glenda.Lanier@sccpss.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello!
    I'm a MS drama club director/set/designer/choreographer/etc. (you know, multitasking is all that we teachers do!)I was also wondering if you'd be willing to share your designs. I have a production going up in the beginning of April, and this seems SOOOO much easier than what I was trying to do before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don t have the time at the moment to fully read your site but I have bookmarked it and also add your RSS feeds. I will be back in a day or two. thanks for a great site. Huat Singapore

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why add the bucket? For stability?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why do I always see a bucket in the middle of these? Do you add weights to it for balance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, fill the bucket with sand or weights. It's circular design allows for rotation.

      Delete
    2. So the bucket is there to also keep the periaktos from traveling or just the center of balance?

      Delete
    3. The bucket keeps it from travelling across the stage.

      Delete
  8. I was hoping to get a copy of the plans so I can build some of these for my middle school theatre program. Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts