Book Review: I Am Scout: The Biography of Harper Lee

I Am Scout: The Biography of Harper Lee As a biography that never actually interviewed Harper Lee, the research and development was excellent. I enjoyed Shields' writing style and the way he wove the narratives of those around Lee into a better picture of the author.

Since "To Kill A Mockingbird" was Lee's only major work and the book she is best known for writing, I am Scout: The Biography of Harper Lee is a treasure trove of connections. A writer is at their best when they write about the things they know best. The relationships between Lee's upbringing and the tale Scout tells are fascinating.

I would highly recommend this biography as a companion book to every high school student required to read "To Kill A Mockingbird." The depth of context and perspective on the author provide an excellent insight into the writing process.

I Am Scout: The Biography of Harper Lee by Charles J. Shields
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts