Who's Yer Con: Day 3

Sunday's gaming was much shorter. Since I worked in the morning, I only signed up to run two sessions of Doctor Who The Card Game. This is not a game I play with regularity so I was rusty on the rules. I did have some time beforehand to lay out a few hands and refresh my memory.

Both sessions were completely booked, but one person did not show for the first session. This allowed me to play as well as teach. At first we got confused on the rotation of play and passing of cards, but eventually sorted it out.

My first group was a bit more keen on rule following and figuring out strategies, but then forgot the entire scoring mechanism for winning. I think overall they enjoyed the game but were tired and ready for the con to be over. I could have done a better job running the game too.

The second group knew each other and this also was their last scheduled game. They had also tried the other Doctor Who game offered and were excited to compare them. In the end, they are different styles and mechanics each offering a unique experience. The quick turnover and changing balance of power kept everyone engaged and the one lady who continually seemed to have the worst cards ended up winning.

Overall, I had a good time at Who's Yer Con and am glad I decided to participate. Next year I'm considering how to pull together a Strat-O-Matic tournament. If the Con is still in March, perhaps a basketball tourney would be fun!

Comments

Popular Posts