Fractionally Frustrated to the Third Power

elephant bathingWe need to do a better job of giving kids the NEED for math. Helping my 8th grade son with his Pre-Algebra review homework tonight, we got stumped on taking negative fractions to the third power. Perhaps it because I teach in technology where everything has practical applications or maybe it's just my personality; but I cannot think of a reason to perform that calculation.

As a review section, I know to look back in the chapter for help. The original lesson explained that elephants eat 125 pounds of hay a day. We can write that as 5^3. OK, but why would you? If you asked anyone helping feed the elephant to bring you 5^3 pounds of hay, I bet the elephant would be hungry.

I understand that exponents and roots are shorthand for longer calculations. They are useful in programming as a way to reduce the size of the code. Outside of that context, I just don't get why anyone would know (or care) that a volleyball court has an area of 2^7 meters. Tell me the court is 128 square meters and that has meaning. We can cover it with carpet, or add sand to a depth and we're talking volume.

We were both long past figuring out the HOW, but I need to know the WHY. If the notation does not communicate meaning, then it becomes meaningless and our students are lost.

Popular posts from this blog

Classcraft Interactive Notebook Page

Book Review: Flotsam